How does an engine overhaul work?
The engine’s job is to burn fuel and convert that into power which turns your wheels allowing you to drive. This process happens when spark plugs ignite an air/fuel mixture inside the combustion chamber. This creates an explosion pushing your pistons up and down.
There are two types of overhauls, the top and full overhaul:
- Top Overhaul – is when you only remove the cylinder head (top of the engine), leaving the engine block (bottom of the engine) inside the vehicle.
- Full Overhaul – is when you remove the complete engine from the vehicle and strip it down.
The other option, which is not entirely recommended, is to replace the engine with a new or second hand one. New engines from the dealership are often more than half the value of the car. And secondhand engines are a risk. Not only do most second hand engines come without a guarantee. But there is always the chance that the engine is faulty.
If your vehicle needs an engine overhaul, here are a few things to look out for:
- Disappearing engine oil – When an oil seal or piston ring starts to fail the oil can slip through into the combustion chamber and burn away.
- Overheating – coolant can enter your combustion chamber and burn away, or it could leak into your exhaust system and present as white/grey smoke.
- Excessive Smoke from your exhaust: once oil enters your combustion chamber it burns with the air/fuel mixture. This creates a white smoke that lasts throughout the day.
- Misfire – a misfire could be due to a carbon build up on your spark plugs. This build up could indicate that your pistons are cracked, or your piston rings are worn out.
- Lack of Performance – this is most likely due to your intake valves not letting enough air into your engine to create the correct air/fuel ratio for combustion.
Engines are not designed to last for forever. Every engine at some stage will need to be overhauled or replaced. However, many, including Autoworks, do recommend that by providing your vehicle with the correct maintenance needed, your engine may just last a little longer.
How do Autoworks ensure you get the best engine overhaul possible:
- By only fitting OE quality parts
- Full quality control and testing after your vehicle has been repaired
- Providing you with a 1 year/60 000km warranty on labour and all parts fitted and supplied by Autoworks
- Having qualified technicians working to manufacturer specifications
When bringing your vehicle to Autoworks for an engine overhaul, the first thing that we will do is quote you on a strip and assess. Once you have approved the quote, the technician will disassemble the engine and check all the parts including the cylinder head and block. Your service assistant will then provide you with a finalized quote. And you will receive your vehicle after the repairs have been completed.
Once an overhaul has been completed your car should be quieter, have better fuel consumption and show an increase in power.
Let Autoworks give your car a new lease on life! Click below and we will assist you with a booking!
Latest from our blog
Your vehicle is a complex machine with numerous components working in harmony to ensure smooth operation. Among these crucial elements,…Read More
Different makes and models of cars come with either a Timing Chain or a Cam/Timing Belt. The main difference is…Read More